Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Reflection on Marriage #6

I haven't done one of these in a very long time, not because I haven't had AHA moments with my dear husband, we've just been busy.

Last night, I put my sleeping little boy in his own crib in his own bedroom for the first time. Yes, he is almost 7 months old, but with the move, ordering a crib, teething, blah blah I've just never done it. He started his life in a pack n play bassinet next to my bed in Gainesville, Florida. As we were somewhat of nomads staying with parents and friends as we prepared to move he moved to a pack n play or crib at the foot of the bed and by the time we got to Texas he was sleeping all the way across the room from me!

It was time.

I sat on the couch not wanting to go to bed and leave him across the house (it's not THAT big of a house) all alone. Finally, I climbed into bed next to my husband who was playing a game of scrabble on his iPhone.

I began sobbing.
He looked at me perplexed and questioning.
Through my tears, "I don't want him so far away!" I stared at his empty pack n play and sobbed harder.
Craig, "Are you serious?" He then turns his attention back to his game. A few moments pass and again he looks up, "Are you serious? He didn't leave for college." Back to scrabble.
I try to put things into perspective.
Craig, "What's a word that ends in x?"

I'm not sure there was a lesson learned here from my wisdom rich husband. Perhaps, ignore crazy people and eventually they'll stop being crazy? Just a reflection...

6 comments:

Attitude of Gratitude said...

no milk of human kindness from Craig. I know exactly how you feel. It is awful--I do not know how we are supposed to send them off for two years on a mission. I'm not going to think about it--I'm just not.

Annie and Dan said...

I love that I can picture that scene so perfectly, and I think I appreciate it more because Dan has similar reactions to me!

Amy Tobler said...

That's classic...

Rachel said...

I tend to think if you leave crazy people along they get crazier....

Ms. Green Eyes said...

That is so funny. And so familiar... though Scarlett never slept in our room. She has been in her crib in her own room since we brought her home from the hospital.

ATT Hickson said...

Might be my husbands fault... I think he was playing him in scrabble on the IPhone. Sorry!