Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Re- Plea

I know I have made this plea before, but HELP. I am at my wits end with this kid and sleeping. Everytime he's put in his bed he screams like he's been beaten and won't go to sleep. He'll easily scream for an hour each time. Every night and nap is a battle. I've read the books, articles, talked to the pediatrician and nothing works. Whenever I'm told what to try he finds a loop hole. (For example when he was younger if we let him cry he threw up all over his bed every night.) I think it's possible he's just never learned to self-soothe. He would never take a pacifier or suck his thumb and only recently seems fond of a stuffed animal or blanket. We've done "cry it out", which I HATE each time, 10+ times. It takes a week or so to work and then only lasts for a couple weeks before he's back to his old shenanigans. Each time has been more emotionally traumatizing for me and I don't really have any interest in doing it anymore since it's so awful and doesn't seem to have lasting effects. But what does that leave me? Do I quit complaining and cuddle him to sleep EVERY night? What's 10 minutes? Except then it's 20, and then 30 and then he realizes I'm going to hold him and still doesn't go to sleep.
To make matters worse, the past couple nights he's woken up and won't stop crying DURING the night. I draw the line there. Something's gotta change! So give me an idea!! I'm dying over here.
Ideas I have:
1) Take away his nap. Perhaps he's not tired enough at night? Except he seems tired, and once he's asleep still takes his 1.5 hour nap and after he's thrown his fit every night and finally falls asleep at 11-11:30 he sleeps late. So it seems he still needs the sleep he's getting.
2) Put him in a toddler bed. I've kept him in his crib because he doesn't climb out, so why transition if we don't have to? But maybe it would make him feel less trapped and more independent to climb in his bed himself? Perhaps we could start laying by him in a toddler bed?
All ideas/opinions welcome! Please!

4 comments:

Chronic Commuter said...

Are you sure he doesn't just have "allergies"? Childrens Benadryl is safe and is great for treating "allergies", but it does have that annoying extreme drowsyness side-effect...so take that into consideration when treating for "allergies".

ATT Hickson said...

I read the above comment... and just so you know, Benadryl makes my kids HYPER so I wouldn't count on that.

Here's my advice - if you are the main person putting Riley down for bedtime, make it Craig's job and you get lost. Riley will HATE it for at least 3 nights and scream for YOU, but it worked for us. Caleb didn't want anything to do with Todd when we put him to bed, but when he realized Todd wasn't going to nurse him to sleep, he figured it out fairly quick. Sorry Craig. It's time for you to put your Daddy shoes on.

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

I agree with ATT Hickson also, that's a good idea (I will definitely have to use that with Clare, she is especially attached to me at nighttime). Noah transitioned to a big boy bed pretty easily, but it did take patience. He would get out of his bed sometimes 10+ times and we would just take him right back. I haven't ever experienced screaming until they throw up, thats difficult. I know that things that work for Noah is...as mean as it may sound punishment. For example, he loves his nightlight on at night, but I tell him if he wants me to leave the door open and the night light on, he has to stay in his bed. Unless he gets scared by something then it will always work. Or I tell him that I will take his cars away if he gets up from bed (because he loves to sleep with them, oddly). I am not sure if Riley is at an age where he could comprehend that, and maybe that's something to try after you move him to a toddler bed. We moved Noah when he was not even 2 1/2 and he wasn't climbing out of the crib either. Maybe thats just what he needs, a different bed, a different routine!

Ok, now I'm rambling! Good Luck!!

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

PS. Sorry for my awful punctuation in my last comment! I did graduate. ha