Saturday, October 2, 2010

Help! (and) We're going down!

I'm sucking up my pride and asking for HELP. Riley turned 8 months September 29th. He still gets up twice a night during the 12 hours he's in bed for a bottle. I want my nights back! After 8 months, I am becoming very exhausted. Most people tell me that I need to let him cry it out, but I just don't know if I can. Not if there's another way. We've recently changed his bed time, which is working great, but it threw what little nap schedule he had off so that's a battle too.
Someone should have mentioned that when you are pregnant you should read the pregnancy books AND the after pregnancy books because you aren't going to have time to read them after the baby comes.
That's why I need yalls advice. How did you get your babies to sleep through the night and take naps? I know they say don't rock them, let them fall asleep on you, with a bottle...blah blah blah. So let's start with I do ALL of those things. Why is rocking so bad? Isn't that how we were all put to sleep? And why does every baby store sell rockers and gliders if you aren't supposed to use them? I dunno...obviously my child isn't sleeping through the night so what do I know? I'm sure you all have different experiences and opinions so SHARE, maybe someone will have something that I feel like I can do and will work for us!

On a side note, Riley's big 8 monthish mile stone happened last night. I told Craig about a week ago we should lower Riley's crib before he starts pulling up because I think it's going to happen soon. Craig usually gets home after Riley's already in bed though so it hadn't happened and I've been so worried about it. Last night I had put him down and was on the phone with Craig complaining about my failures as a parent and Riley not sleeping and I could hear him whining in the background so I said I'd better go. (Cause as you've learned I don't let him cry!) I walked into his room and he was standing in his crib leaned over the side, I about had a heart attack. It was one of those moments where I wanted to yell at him (which would have been pointless) and cry at the same time. I'm sure babies have fallen out of cribs, but that's quite a fall and it would have been very traumatic for at least me if not him. Needless to say he got to stay up late last night until Craig got home and we got it adjusted.

Sometimes I look at this kid and I just want to say SLOW DOWN, he's just growing up too fast.

8 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You have no Idea how much I can relate to your post!! I still feed Chloe once in the 11 hours she sleeps at night, and I thought I wanted to eleminate night feedings. So I tried a method from a book called 12 hrs sleep by 12 wks. and it totally worked, but then I decided I wasn't ready to give up her night feedings altogether!!! She is still pretty little. Anyway it says to start with the first night feeding. After you get rid of it then move to the second. So if he wakes every night say at 1 and 4 work on the first feeding only. after you eleminate it the move to the next. So heres how: Say he eats 6 oz usually.You feed him an oz less than what he is used to for a few days (so 5 oz), then another oz less for a few days until you eleminate the first feeding.(If you are breast feeding him at all just go by minutes like if you usually feed him for 10 min lower it to 9,then 8,7...)I too wish someone had told me to read books about babies sleep schedules BEFORE I had her! I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way. 2 things that have really been helping with naps are room darkening shades, and white noise (we use a fan)It takes some time to ween him off the night feedings but worth it to do so you don't have to let him "cry it out" which I hate. Good luck!!

Attitude of Gratitude said...

I am not the person to ask--I couldn't let Colt cry it out and he still comes upstairs from nightmares and I am a total whimp so I'll let him jump in between us until he rezonks and I carry him downstairs--what am I supposed to do? Nonetheless, I am determined that should heaven allow any more kiddos our way this will NOT be repeated. I will figure this sleep through the night thing out--I will, I will. (Sense my resolve?)

breanna said...

By that age, they (at least my babies) wake up because they are just thirsty. We put a sippie cup of water in the bed with them whenever i decided that night feedings were over. For the first week or so when he/she woke up crying Orum would go hand it to him/her to get a drink. Since I was the one that did the feedings, I tried to never do it because then he/she would expect milk. It didn't take long before they just started reaching for the cup to get a sip and then going back to sleep :) hazel never makes a peep--just drinks and then goes right back to sleep!

Although, if he's not putting himself to sleep indent know how well that would work out. I live by the baby whisper book!! All if my kids are sleepers...it's possible that it's partially genetic. You know those youngs and their sleep habits :) but seriously, I do love the method!

Oh, and Elijah was totally a climber!!! He climbed out of hia crib too many times to count!! Hopefully, lowering the bed will solve that issue ;)

Keri said...

Ok, I have Savannah who I did not let cry it out and Grant who I let him cry at like 8 months. Savannah still wakes up in the night and she is 4! Grant on the other hand sleeps a solid 12 hours. I also put a sippy cup of water in be with Grant. I know it is hard to let them cry, but it only takes a couple nights and trust me, you do NOT want a 4yr old who wakes you up every night! Good luck!

Rebecca said...

Oh I am such a sucker. Four babies and bad sleepers later...nobody ever cried it out and I just adjusted to the lack of sleep. :(...can you get any worse advice than that? I do get a lot of energy from exercising. Good news? My 10 and 8 year old sleep through the night...haha!!! They eventually outgrow it, right? Not too many college age kids are getting up and crawling in bed with mom and dad...at least I hope not.

Jessica said...

Yikes, does not sound fun! We let Jace cry it out because i was dying too. It is worth it even though it is hard to do. It works my friend. Just think of it as a strategic business decision. ;). Good luck.

Natalie said...

Cassie, Cassie, Cassie. This is a hard time in life because you hear what everyone is telling, you know what the books are saying and your heart is telling you something else. I don't have the right answer because Ethan didn't sleep through the night until 10 months! We tried the crying out thing and it was torture on Ethan and myself! I am a lazy mother that says do whatever is easiest. Do what works for you and your family. Last night Ethan and Ella both slept in their sleeping bags on our floor! I used to be ashamed to admit something like that- but WHO CARES?! It didn't bother me! I just accidentally stepped on Ethan's head on my way to the bathroom no big deal, right? I know that when you are losing sleep though, something has got to give. I have no magical advice but my heart goes out to ya and I wish you the best of luck!

Love, Nattie

PS. ROCK THAT PRECIOUS LITTLE BABY! HOLD HIM AS LONG AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN!