Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sleepless in Frisco

It's been a bit of a rough week in the Copeland household. Riley just hasn't been himself and we've had several sleepless nights- which is rough on a pregnant lady. He'd had a cold for awhile so I decided there must be something more. I took him to the Dr. Thursday and they didn't find anything. We were still spending the whole evening with an inconsolable two year old. Hours of crying. Tonight he finally asked me if I could take his ear off, which since I could not he then wanted kisses on his ear. It was 8 pm on a Saturday night so off we went to the ER. I kept thinking we were just at the dr...but I couldn't ignore "take my ear off". Sure enough he has an infection in both ears. (First time ear infection mom over here.) 



Unfortunately, he won't willingly take any of the medications. We try forcing it, but he gags it up immediately and we can't seem to get him to take it in juice or anything. Keep in mind Craig gives medication to screaming children every day so he's pretty good at it and still can't get it in Riley. If he still refuses tomorrow we will probably have to head back and do a series of antibiotic shots. 
Finally, got him in bed at 12:30 AM and I head to the drugstore again bc I was out of Tylenol and I have a killer sore throat (pregnant- can't take anything). As I pull back into the neighborhood at 1 AM, completely exhausted from the day/week a stretch limo also pulls in. Tonight was prom. I burst into tears. 
I'm ashamed to admit for a brief moment I thought man, what would it be like to be in that limo coming home from prom? They're probably all laughing, not a care in the world. Just getting ready to graduate and live the dream! Those were the days, and I hoped they stopped and remembered the moment. I'm sure they were all thin and fit. And they probably had hours to spend getting beautiful for the night. I bet they didn't share the shower with a two year old or put their makeup on with someone wrapped around their leg whining.  I bet they could sleep in tomorrow, or at least through the night without a crying baby.
And then my 30 seconds of shame were over. I loved high school and had a blast. I had great friends and great experiences. But I would never want to "go back" if it meant giving up what I have. I'm going through each day with the love of my life by my side. I have a little boy who says to me when he wakes up, "Momma! I missed you!". We have another blessing on the way. Craig has a great job. We we have a home, cars and everything we need. Wonderful friends and family. And the Gospel. I have so much to be grateful for and to enjoy. How lucky am I that the worst thing that happened to me this week is a sore throat and a little boy with ear infections? Sometimes I get worn down in the moment, but I wouldn't trade this beautiful life we have for anything. Not even the screaming, crying 2 year old. I would cease to exist without that boy.
Time to give this whole sleep thing a shot.

4 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

Oh, poor little guy! He was trying to tell you what hurt! I hope he can get that cleared up so you all can get back to normal life again, right? I had an ear ache at Christmas time. I forgot how really painful they are!

Herlehy Family said...

Hope your little guys is feeling better soon!

Attitude of Gratitude said...

Poor kiddo and poor tired Mama. Hope today is restful and that Riley gets better so he can keep those cute ears of his. Miss you.
I think all of this would be easier if I just lived next door, right? Right.

Scooter and Jessica said...

True stuff. Sometimes it is just so overwhelming to be a mom and know that you will never get a break for years, but then you snap out of it and remember it is all worth it. Thank heaven kids are so darling!